Things to do when your iPhone comes in contact with liquid:
- Remove the battery immediately if possible.
- Don’t try to plug-in/charge your water damaged iPhone. Also, don’t try to switch it on. In fact, you should immediately switch off the phone if it’s not already. This will prevent any further damage because of short circuit.
- Don’t use hair dryer. The heat from hair dryer may damage any component. Also, the air flow might push the liquid far inside making it difficult to clean.
My friend's iphone 4s fell into a cup of coffee .. and was submerged in water/liquid for atleast 20-35mins.